Petition Calling for Rerun of EU Referendum Signed by More Than Two Million People

June 25th 2016

Taylor Bell

The people of the United Kingdom voted in a historic move to leave the European Union. But almost as soon as the votes were counted, millions of British subjects began scrambling to find a way to void the so-called "Brexit" vote.

Following Thursday's referendum, "a petition on the parliament website calling for a rerun of the EU referendum" began gaining heavy traction, according to The Telegraph.

The petition was created by William Oliver Healey and has currently amassed nearly 2 million signatures as of time of publication.

"We the undersigned call upon [her majesty's] government to implement a rule that if the remain or leave vote is less than 60 percent based a turnout less than 75 percent, there should be another referendum," the petition demanded.

The U.K. government is "required to respond to any petition above 10,000 signatures," and "Parliament must consider for debate any petition that has 100,000 signatures," according to Mashable.

It's unclear whether the petition will result in a second referendum; in any case, the Brexit vote only sets in motion a disengagement process that could take several years.

The strong support for the new petition comes as no surprise: Many British residents opposed the proposed exit from the European Union in the first place. The vote in favor of leaving was 51.9 percent; those in favor of remaining amounted to 48.1 percent, according to the BBC.

Following the shocking results of Thursday's referendum, Prime Minister David Cameron said he would step down in an effort to make way for "fresh leadership" in the U.K., the BBC reported

This isn't the only petition.

change.org brexit petition

Another petition, on Change.org, calls for London Mayor Sadiq Khan to "declare London independent and apply to join the EU."

"London is an international city, and we want to remain at the heart of Europe," the petition said. "Let's face it — the rest of the country disagrees. So rather than passive aggressively vote against each other at every election, let's make the divorce official and move in with our friends on the continent."

So far, that petition has garnered more than 147,000 supporters.