Politics

Donald Trump Responds to the Saudi Prince That Called Him a "Disgrace"

December 14th 2015

By:
Alex Mierjeski

On Saturday, Donald Trump responded to a Saudi prince's claim that the controversial candidate is a "disgrace... to all America," taking to Twitter last Friday to call the royal "dopey."

Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal originally spoke out on Twitter on Friday, and he suggested the candidate drop out of the race entirely.

Trump went on to claim that Bin Talal wanted "to control our U.S. politicians with daddy's money," adding that if elected, he would not bow to the influence of foreign money.

Related: A Major Dubai Department Store Just Stopped Carrying Trump Products

CNN Money reports that Bin Talal is the second largest shareholder of Twitter behind the company's co-founder, and was rated the 34th richest person in the world by Forbes.

The prince's tweet was just the latest influential Arab voice to criticize Trump for his controversial rhetoric directed against Muslims, in the wake of the terrorist attacks in Paris and the recent mass shooting in San Bernardino, California. Most recently, the candidate said the U.S. should close its doors to all Muslims attempting to enter, including American Muslim citizens abroad.

Related: Here Are Donald Trump's Properties in Muslim Countries

Last week, a major Dubai department store said it would stop selling Trump Home products, and a properties firm involved in a development housing a Trump golf course removed the candidate's name from its logos.

On Sunday, the candidate told CNN's Jake Tapper that while his Muslim friends were happy he was discussing Islamic fundamentalism, they did not agree with his proposed immigration ban.