The Police Just Made a Shocking Admission About Christian Taylor's Death

August 11th 2015

Nicole Charky

The rookie police officer who shot and killed 19-year-old Christian Taylor during a break-in at a Dallas-area car dealership was fired for "inappropriate judgment" and had no physical contact with the unarmed, Black teen according to media reports on Tuesday.

Arlington Police Officer Brad Miller, 49, fatally shot Taylor, a college football player, after entering an Arlington, Texas, building alone without his partner and without confirming an arrest plan with other officers, leading to "an environment of cascading consequences," according to Arlington Police Chief Will Johnson.

In a news conference Tuesday, Chief Johnson explained that Miller's training officer and other police officers were at the scene and that Miller's training officer tried to use a taser to subdue Taylor before Miller made the deadly use of force decision, the New York Times reported.

This is contrary to original reports that indicated that officers apparently approached Taylor when an alleged struggle began before Miller fired his weapon, USA Today reports.

Miller graduated from the police academy in March and had joined the department in September. He reportedly had no prior police experience before this job and was placed on administrative leave before the chief's decision Tuesday.

“Based on a preponderance of evidence available to me and facts revealed by the investigative team, I have decided to terminate Officer Miller’s employment with the Arlington Police Department for exercising poor judgment,” Chief Johnson said.

Taylor was shot at about 1 a.m. Friday as he attempted to run away from officers who arrived at the scene of a reported burglary at Classic Buick GMC, when they found that someone had crashed a vehicle into the front window. A medical examiner from Tarrant County found that Taylor had gunshot wounds to his neck, chest, and abdomen.

The F.B.I. was called to investigate what happened, in addition to the ongoing Arlington Police Department investigation, after surveillance footage released late Saturday showed the final moments before Taylor, a sophomore at Angelo State University in San Angelo, Texas, was fatally shot, according to NBCDFW.

There is no police body camera video of the incident, as the department has yet to put a pilot body camera program in place, according to USA Today.

Taylor was a defensive back on his college football team. He had expressed his fears of losing his life at the hands of police before on Twitter.