There's Now an Investigation Into the Graphic Video of Police Beating a Black Man

July 10th 2015

Laura Donovan

A horrifying video of 22-year-old Tyree Carroll screaming for help as police officials swarm, beat, and possibly tase him has prompted the Philadelphia Police Department to launch an internal investigation. The incident, which reportedly took place on April 4, was uploaded to the Internet this week.

Warning: the footage below is very upsetting and violent.

In the video, Carroll is on the ground screaming as cops circle and beat him. More officers show up to the scene and two are heard saying “You’re getting the f—ing taser,” and “Tase that motherf—er.”

According to blogger Jasmyne Cannick, Carroll was stopped by officers for riding his bicycle on the wrong side of the road. When Carroll got off the bike, an officer reportedly placed Carroll's hands behind his back before the chaos began to unfold. Police said that it didn't look like Carroll was tased, but would be further investigating the matter.

The officers reportedly went to the hospital for “bleeding wounds" while Carroll was sent to the hospital for “intentionally striking his own head against the protective shield located in the police vehicle,” according to a police statement, which notes that Carroll was also found with ​5.3 grams of crack cocaine.

According to Cannick's report, "Tyree was initially charged with aggravated assault, simple assault, recklessly endangering another person, resisting arrest and several drug charges stemming from a small amount of crack cocaine allegedly found on him. At Tyree’s preliminary hearing on June 30 all of the charges were maintained, except for one of the assault charges which was reduced to a second degree felony. His case has been ordered to go to trial."

In the clip, Carroll is heard shouting for his grandmother, who told NBC News later that the footage deeply upset her.

"I couldn’t bear to look at it,” she said. “I just shut my mind and looked away.”

Carroll's attorney Shaka Johnson said in a statement that her client was subjected to immense public humiliation, among other things.

“My office is still conducting an investigation regarding the details of what led to the initial police encounter," Jackson said. "What happened next however is now hardly in dispute. Tyree was beaten, punched, kicked, tased, and was absolutely humiliated in front of his community all while screaming for help [from onlookers] and calling for his grandmother.”